Tuesday, August 7, 2012

You Don't have to 'Like Me' and I'm okay with that.

You don’t have to like me and I’m okay with that! An easy statement, but difficult to follow through with. We all have an innate desire to be loved and if not loved at least liked. Social networking has made that come to the surface even more with allowing people to like your posts, your statuses and your photographs or to follow you. This plays to the most basic insecurity. We just must be liked!
And who likes us, really? A couple of friends, some members of your family and maybe a handful of people - but that’s it. And why should it matter if a bunch of nobodies don’t like you? I have to confess that it used to bother me an immense amount when people, I never even knew had opinions about me! I wanted to change their opinions- make my haters my biggest fans or at least try and let them get to know me. But I have found that no matter how ‘agreeable’ you are, how nice you are - some people will dislike you no matter what. And I have realised that If I make them my biggest opinion - makers- then the only one who loses out is me!
And let’s be real, surely you don’t like every body.There must be a whole bunch of people you just put up with but truly, honestly don’t like- and that’s okay. Nowhere is it written you have to love or like everyone, which brings in another important qualification. Learn to qualify people as ‘friends’ and ‘acquaintances.’ If you even have a handful of friends, real friends in my book you are an absolute winner because real friends are hard to make and those relationships harder to keep. Those are the people who truly like you and those are perhaps the only opinions that should ever matter.
And if I’ve learnt one thing it’s this eventually the only person who has to like you is you and if you can make that happen then you’ll be just fine!
Relationships and friendships are hard but may be it all starts with being a little less harsh on yourself.Afterall no one's perfect and each of us are pretty great in our own way.I like me.....and you should too...(I mean like yourself)

No comments:

Post a Comment


Picturesque